Construction workers get subsidies

May 18, 2020

About $1.2 billion in subsidies has been disbursed so far to about 160,000 construction workers under the second round of the Anti-epidemic Fund, the Development Bureau announced today.


Together with the subsidies dispensed under the first round of the fund, more than $1.7 billion in subsidies has been disbursed.


Among some 210,000 workers who received the $1,500 subsidy under the first round of the fund, about 80% of them have received the one-off $7,500 subsidy automatically under the second round with the remaining 20% of the workers to receive the subsidies within the coming days, the bureau added.


Besides registered construction workers under the Construction Workers Registration Ordinance, workers registered with the Electrical & Mechanical Services, the Building, the Water Supplies and the Fire Services Departments will also directly benefit from the one-off subsidy of $7,500 under the second round of the fund.


Eligible workers can submit applications via the Construction Industry Council's (CIC) mobile app, the bureau noted.


The Government will align the amount of the one-off subsidies offered to construction-related enterprises under the second round of the fund at the higher level of $20,000 each, covering eligible contractors, specialist contractors, works contractors and suppliers, as well as minor works contractors, registered electrical/gas/lift/escalator/fire service installation contractors and suppliers of construction-related machinery and equipment rental.


Relevant enterprises can submit applications through the CIC's online platform within May, it added.


The bureau is processing the applications from consultant firms offering engineering/architectural and related professional services for training subsidies under the second round of the fund. The disbursement of subsidies to the approved companies is in progress.


The application deadline for the various subsidies is August 31. Eligible companies or workers who have not yet submitted their applications may visit the CIC's dedicated website for details.


For more information call 3199 7377 or e-mail

Back to top