2021 census launched

June 23, 2021

The Census & Statistics Department announced today the launch of the 2021 Population Census, a survey conducted to obtain up-to-date information on the demographic and socio-economic characteristics of Hong Kong’s population.


Commissioner for Census & Statistics Marion Chan said at a press conference today the population census is being conducted in two phases, with the first phase lasting until July 17, followed by the second phase from July 18 to August 4.


About 10% of the households selected through random sampling need to provide a range of socio-economic characteristics of their members. The remaining 90% of the households are subject to simple enumeration to provide basic demographic information of their members.


The department will issue notifications to households in batches. Households subject to the simple enumeration will receive a paper questionnaire enclosed in a notification letter.


They can also complete an online questionnaire or give a telephone interview.


In light of the COVID-19 epidemic, the department is adopting these three non-face-to-face options. During the second phase, census officers will visit households which have not completed the questionnaire to assist them in providing the required information.


Ms Chan said it is advisable for the census officers to be vaccinated against COVID-19 or they would need to undergo regular testing.


"(For) our temporary field workers, we encourage them to get vaccinated. But if they, for one reason or another, do not get vaccinated, then we would require them to take COVID-19 tests every two weeks."


She added that the information collected in the census is vital for the future development of Hong Kong and useful for the Government for policy formulation as well as planning of social services and facilities.


“The population is ageing in Hong Kong - ageing quite rapidly - so there is a demand for such kind of data so that we would know more about, for example, in which districts are there more elderly people, and how many of them are taken care of by paid workers or unpaid family members.”

Back to top