3 relics declared monuments

May 22, 2020

Pok Fu Lam Reservoir’s masonry bridge, Tung Wah Coffin Home on Sandy Bay Road, and Tin Hau Temple and adjoining buildings in Yau Ma Tei have been declared as monuments.


The declarations, under the Antiquities & Monuments Ordinance, were gazetted today.


Pok Fu Lam Reservoir is the first public reservoir in Hong Kong. Its construction commenced in 1860 and water supplies began at the end of 1863.


One of the oldest surviving historic structures at the reservoir, the masonry bridge, situated at the east end of Pok Fu Lam Reservoir and built of granite, features an elegant semi-circular arch.


Tung Wah Coffin Home was established in 1899, with the first group of buildings completed in 1900. It is the only example of its type in Hong Kong that is still serving its original purpose as a place for the deposition of coffins and human remains. 


The coffin home reflects a variety of styles, ranging from traditional Chinese vernacular architecture to modern Western-style elements, along with other features that are a hybrid of both.


Established by boat people and land dwellers, Tin Hau Temple in Yau Ma Tei is the largest surviving Tin Hau Temple compound in Kowloon.


The temple was relocated to its present site in 1876 and was completed in 1878. The other four adjoining buildings - the communal hall, hall of earth god and the two schools - were constructed in phases between 1894 and 1920.


Click here for details.

Back to top