Police condemn radical protesters

August 4, 2019

The Police have severely condemned radical protesters' violent acts in east and west Kowloon from the evening of August 3 to the small hours of August 4.


There were public events in Mong Kong district yesterday afternoon, the force noted.


At around 4pm, a large group of protesters deviated from the Police's agreed public procession route, blocking Nathan Road while marching towards Tsim Sha Tsui.


Some of them removed the roadside fences and set road blocks at various major crossroads, causing serious traffic obstruction.


The report room service of police stations in Yau Ma Tei, Tsim Sha Tsui, Mong Kok as well as the police reporting centre in Hung Hom MTR Station was suspended, affecting the Police's provision of emergency services to the public.


When the protesters arrived at Tsim Sha Tsui, they went to Hung Hom via Salisbury Road.


They used water barriers, fences and other miscellaneous objects to block both traffic lanes of the Cross-Harbour Tunnel toll plaza in Hung Hom, leading to the complete closure of both tunnel tube directions, causing serious traffic obstruction.


After that, a large group of protesters assembled in Tsim Sha Tsui illegally again. Some radical protesters started to surround Tsim Sha Tsui Police Station, vandalising the facilities outside and setting fires at various locations.


Furthermore, some protesters hurled bricks and hard objects into the station using large catapults, damaging more than 20 vehicles inside and causing a serious threat to the safety of people there.


With multiple arsons and criminal damage reported, and thoroughfares extensively blocked, the situation in the vicinity of Nathan Road in Tsim Sha Tsui further deteriorated.


Police urged people assembling at the scene to leave as soon as possible through on-site broadcasts, social media and press releases. Such warnings were repeated but to no avail, Police then took dispersal actions in Tsim Sha Tsui and Mong Kok.


During the dispersal operations, some violent protesters hurled petrol bombs, bricks, glass bottles and large amounts of miscellaneous objects at officers.


The protesters also directed high-power lasers at the officers, committed arson at various locations and pushed a burning rubbish bin towards the officers.


The scene became increasingly chaotic when the protesters violently attacked other people who held different views.


Officers therefore, had to use appropriate force including discharging tear gas to stop the violent acts.


At around the same time, another group of protesters marched towards Wong Tai Sin via Prince Edward Road East. The report room services of Wong Tai Sin Police Station and Kowloon City Police Station were temporarily suspended. Tensions grew during a standoff between protesters and police officers at a Wong Tai Sin bus station.


When officers were trying to retreat from the scene in police vehicles, some radical protesters surrounded them and vandalised the vehicles. They also hurled miscellaneous objects at the officers and vehicles, and some even used fire extinguishers to attack officers at the scene.


A gang of violent protesters subsequently surrounded Wong Tai Sin Disciplined Services Quarters, hurling fireworks and numerous miscellaneous objects into the quarters, breaking the glass windows of lower-floor residential units, damaging the car park gates and other government property. The safety of the residents was seriously threatened.


In the face of a chaotic situation, tear gas was launched to disperse the protesters. Shortly after that, protesters turned to Lung Cheung Road, blocking it with water barriers and miscellaneous objects, causing severe traffic obstruction to the thoroughfare. Protesters also again blocked the traffic lanes of the Cross-Harbour Tunnel in Hung Hom.


More than 20 people were arrested for offences including unlawful assembly and assault.


The Police strongly condemn the radical protesters' disregard for law and order. Resolute enforcement action will be taken against all illegal and violent acts.


The force also reiterated that they are capable and determined to maintain law and order and will not tolerate any violence.

Back to top