Font Size
Default Font Size Larger Font Size Largest Font Size RSS Subscription Advanced Search Sitemap Mobile/Accessible Version 繁體 简体


The Immigration Department controls the movement of people into and out of Hong Kong. It also issues HKSAR passports and other travel documents, visas and identity cards, and handles nationality matters and the registration of births, deaths and marriages.

Immigration officers arrive in Japan

March 14, 2011

The Immigration Department will spare no effort to help Hong Kong people in Japan, particularly in locating those who have lost contact with their families, Acting Director of Immigration Chan Kwok-ki says.


Mr Chan today told reporters 10 immigration officers have arrived in Japan to help Hong Kong residents there.


By 3pm today, the department had received 4,131 enquiries and 796 requests for help. Of the help requests, 416 people had lost contact with their families, 234 asked for an early return to Hong Kong, and 146 required information.


Mr Chan said officers have made contact with 391 people who lost contact with their families and are still trying to contact the remaining 25. The department has made arrangements for 148 people to return to Hong Kong.


He said the department will do its best to offer assistance despite the chaotic situation in the country. It has deployed more staff to handle the surge in calls, and will work closely with the Hong Kong Economic & Trade Office in Tokyo, the Chinese Embassy in Japan, the Office of the Commissioner of the Ministry of Foreign Affairs of the People's Republic of China in Hong Kong, and the Japanese Consulate-General.

Outbound Travel Alert System