Rural voter registration starts

May 14, 2018

The voter registration campaign for the Rural Representative Election opened today.


There are three types of rural representatives - Indigenous Inhabitant Representatives, Resident Representatives and Kaifong Representatives.


Indigenous Inhabitant Representatives are returned by indigenous inhabitants, their spouses or surviving spouses of an Indigenous or Composite Indigenous Village.


They reflect indigenous inhabitants' views of the village and deal with affairs relating to their lawful traditional rights and interests, and traditional way of life.


Resident Representatives, returned by residents of an existing village, reflect views on village affairs on their behalf.


Kaifong Representatives, returned by Cheung Chau or Peng Chau residents, reflect residents’ views on the two towns' affairs.


Voter registration for the Indigenous Inhabitant Representative Election is open to indigenous inhabitants, their spouses or surviving spouses, aged 18 or above and holding recognised identity documents.


Registration for the Resident Representative and Kaifong Representative elections is open to Hong Kong permanent residents, aged 18 or above who have lived in an existing village, Cheung Chau or Peng Chau for three years prior to the registration application date.


The registration deadline is July 16.


The Home Affairs Department reminded registered electors to report any changes in personal particulars by the deadline so they can vote in future elections.


Click here for the voter registration form.

Back to top